We're going to use WAMP for this tutorial.
WAMP stands for "Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP" which are the different elements that allow you to run Joomla on your computer.
Here's how you do it:
Step 1: Install WAMP
- Download WAMP to your computer.
- Run through the WAMP installation process.
- In your taskbar, down the by the date in the bottom-right hand corner of your screen, look for the WAMP icon. Click on that icon.
- You should see a popup. Click "Start All Services" and then click "Localhost."
- Hopefully you'll see a white screen with the Wampserver logo in the top-left corner.
Step 2: Download Joomla
- Go to Joomla.org and click on the black button saying "Download Joomla. Get the Latest Version". Find the line saying ".... Full Package" and click on the "ZIP" text.
- The file you download should have a long name such as Joomla_3x-Stable-Full_Package.zip
Step 3: Move Joomla to WAMP
- Click on the WAMP icon in your taskbar again and now click "www directory". This will take you to the folder where WAMP stores its websites.
- Move your Joomla folder from Step 2 into this directory.
- Extract the Joomla folder.
- It will be confusing to keep accessing the website through a folder called /Joomla_1.5.15-Stable-Full_Package/ so rename the folder to something simple such as /joomlatest/